PUBLIC SERVANT AWARDS:
FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIANS, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND FIREFIGHTERS:
Each year, the Veterans of Foreign Wars selects emergency medical technicians, law enforcement and firefighter personnel to receive VFW Public Servant Awards.
Post Safety Chairmen are encouraged to submit a candidate for these awards to their District by December 1st.
District Chairman must send them to Department Headquarters by January 1st. The Department must select a single candidate for each of the three awards and submit those to VFW National Headquarters by February 1ST. Eligible candidates for each award are as follows:
VFW National Emergency Medical Technician Public Servant Citation:
Any individual, who actively gives emergency medical treatment, provides rescue service or civil disaster assistance as a member of any public or volunteer company organized to give emergency medical care, provide rescue and civil disaster assistance to our nation’s citizens.
VFW National Law Enforcement:
Any individual who serves in a municipal, county, state or federal unit tasked with enforcement of the laws pertaining to their area of responsibility. This award does not apply to individuals employed by private companies or security services
VFW National Firefighters Public Servant Citation:
Any individual who actively fights fires as a member of any public or volunteer company organized to fight fires and give assistance to our nation’s citizens.
Criteria for these awards – Candidates must have demonstrated:
1) Recognition by their colleagues or those they serve.
2) Consistent excellence in the performance of their duties
3) Consistent dedication to their official responsibilities over a period of years and continuous growth in responsibilities and skills within their profession.
Documentation required for all Candidates:
1) Entry Form
2) Nomination letter containing the candidate’s name, title, address, telephone
3) list of the candidate’s accomplishments and awards in their field.
4) District Forwarding form
5) District breakdown report forms
6) State winners in each of the 3 categories will be asked to provide a photograph (preferably a head shot)